Re: [IPk] Continous Monitoring

Hi Kathryn
If you have the chance to go for the continuous monitoring thing, grab it
with both hands.
I went on it last year (a couple of years after I started on the pump) and
found it quite enlightening (you can read about my experiences on the IP-UK
website), though it wasn't that accurate. I wanted to know what was going on
in the night and discovered that I was definitely going low without
realising, and I wanted to know what was going on when I exercised, and found
that I was going high and then dropping again, without realising.

I just asked my consultant about it, and it happened that they were doing
some research project at the hospital involving the monitor and heart rates,
so they let me use it for 3 days in return for being hooked up to various
heart monitors at night!

Wrt to the being active, I am pretty active (I dance 4 nights a week, play
goalball once a week, softball once a week, go to the gym 3 times a week, and
go swimming and stuff too, as well as a lot of walking). I find it so useful
precisely because I am active and need to vary my insulin a lot. It doesn't
really get in the way - generally I stick the pump in a pocket, clip it to my
waistband (at the back, front or side depending on what I'm doing) or when
all else fails, shove it down my top!) - and it's no problem at all. For
contact sports such as goalball I do remove it though.
Hope that helps