[IPk] back again no pump yet

I imgine that being on lantus is like being on a pump with a single basal
Do you find you need less novorapid prior to mid day and evening meals?
It certainly sounds like this is a step in the right direction although if it
turns out that your basal insulin requirements vary markedly from one part of
the day to the next control will still be a struggle.
At least you should see a more consistent effect with less day to day
I'm surprised that you are the first one put on this regimen. In my clinic the
consultant had a list of people he wanted to switch over as soon as it was
available ( I assume these were people with recurrent nocturnal hypos)

Once you get used to a pump it is far easier to make adjustments and adapt the
insulin to your precise requirements. It does sound as if you were being
fobbed off
Are you carb counting. If you are getting a more stable basal insulin then
counting carbs and matching your insulin should be effective