Re: [IPk] queries already and not started on pump yet!

In message <email @ redacted>, Rhoda Martin
<email @ redacted> writes
>Mary Leonard said she'd had problems re allergic reactions initially on pumping.
>This is one
>of my concerns.  I've just spent several months on Fragmin (injection form of
>blood thinners)
>and I had to use plasters to stop the leakage from my abdomen injection sites.
>Even when
>using Hypafix tape, I ended up with a type of eczema.  (All the duff medical
>things in the
>family were left in the gene bin to be passed on to me!)  The odds are high that
>this will
>happen to with the tape to keep the cannula in place.
>Any suggestions how to avoid this?

Hi Rhoda, with a father and two nephews with eczema, it's not surprising
that I get severe reactions to sets.  The silhouettes are really nasty
for me: but not all glues or anti-bacterials are the same, and I cope
with the sofsets just fine (the quicksets are good, allergy-wise, but
just won't go in!).

There are various slips of things you can put under them: I've asked for
Medtrinic to send me the samples, now I've tried out the quickset and
found them to be, for me, a quick way to ketoacidois, but nothing yet...

I have tried, and found fairly successful (if not scenic) to use a tape
that I'm _not_ allergic to, and put it in a square pattern (four bits),
then the sof-set under-lay, and then the sofset itself, finishing off
with more tape to secure it (I'm an allergic klutz).  The result is a
distinctly three-dimensional stomach!

The problem is if it itched like mad and raised wealts _every_ time, I'd
do the 3-d thing every time, but it doesn't.  Some times it's just fine,
and then I get so there's no space left on my stomach, as six sets in a
row have inflamed (and the inflammation takes a week or so to go.

Best wishes,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)