Re: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #236

Hi Barbara
> How long have you had your pump? Did you have it connected at your clinic?
> Who decided on the initial dose?

I got my pump about 3 1/2 years ago. Once the pump arrived, I made an
appointment with the nurse at the clinic (Manchester Diabetes Centre) who
had been trained by Minimed about pumps. She showed me how to insert an
infusion set and fill the pump (though she neglected to tell me about
priming it, as I discovered to my cost later!) and that was it. We decided
together on the initial basal rate. Unfortunately she had only been trained
on pumps with one basal rate (the old Minimed 505s) and refused to believe
it was even possible to have more than one basal rate! Anyway, I figured the
rest out myself with help from a friend who was already on a pump, the IP
list and Pumping Insulin. I wouldn't recommend that method as the way to do
it, but I had done a lot of research and knew where to find help if I needed
it. I did have the nurse's mobile number in case of emergencies.

> Oh, and Di, how far do you have to travel to your hospital and how many
> patients are on pumps at yours?

At the time, I was living in Manchester - about 5 minutes walk away from the
clinic! They had about 5 patients on pumps at the time.
I moved to Sheffield 2 1/2 years ago and am now seen at the Royal
Hallamshire Hospital. Which was also 5 minutes's walk away from my flat!
Though it's now 20 mins walk away as I've moved house. I don't know how many
people are on pumps there - I think about half a dozen.