From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On
Behalf Of email @ redacted
Sent: 18 October 2002 18:02
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] Carb counting

email @ redacted writes:

Hi all,
> When I was diagnosed with diabetes, over 25 years ago, Carb counting
was
> the method taught to us here in Scotland. I have never changed, I
always
> look at the carb info on any products I may eat.

Me too.  This is one of my bugbears - I'm afraid I have never been able
understand how insulin dependent diabetes can be controlled if you don't
carb
count!  Advice to "eat healthily" is sensible enough, but would really
only
allow control in those on oral medication or single day injections; such
diet will necessarily include plenty of complex carbs and fruit sugars.
OK,
maybe they do raise bg more slowly (although in my case they seem to
work
pretty quickly...), but they are still carbs.  A wholemeal sarnie plus a

piece of fruit, say, would put my bg through the roof if I didn't have
any
insulin with it, and I'm so insulin-sensitive that if I calculated even
one
unit of injected insulin out I'd go hypo or high (the pump is so much
more
accurate!).

I had been carb counting for nearly thirty years before I started
pumping,
but I think we are very lucky here in Bournemouth - the dietetics team
are
very keen on carb counting (and the effects of fat/protein/alcohol) and
give
all new pumpers loads of written info too.  Yes, and how to cope with a
meal
out!

Mary