Re: [IPk] Infusion set replacement

I started out religiously changing every two days, in the morning.  I've
ended up changing every 2 or 2.5 days, or sometimes 3 days.  I prefer to
change in the early evening, when my insulin needs are lowest, but I've
got four or five hours for the set to fail, get very high, change set,
and be confident it's working before going to bed.  But some evenings I
can't change, so I wait to the following morning.

I guess the regularity of the change (as opposed to the frequency)
depends on
a) how often you would forget if it wasn't regular (or how much
regularity prompts you - if you are always forgetting to put the bins
out on Wednesday morning, changing your set regularly on Thursday
mornings isn't going to help), and
b) how much you need to schedule the time for set change into your life.
You' don't want to be in a position where you can't sort out a failed
set in the couple of hours after a change.  If all your days are pretty
much the same, regularity doesn't matter.  If only on Monday Mornings,
Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings can you be able to deal with
problems, then those must be your change times.

The frequency (as opposed to the regularity) depends on what you were
told to do.

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 1+)

In message <email @ redacted>, Lesley
Jordan <email @ redacted> writes
>Hi everyone
>"Pumping Insulin" recommends that pumpers should keep regular days for changing
>their infusion sets etc, eg every Sunday and Wednesday.
>I have 3 questions to ask everyone:
>do you keep regular days for changing?
>if so, do you therefore use one of your infusion sets for 4 days?
>One cartridge will not last me for 3 infusion sets (9 days) but isn't quite
>finished after 7 days, so I can either waste maybe 20 units of insulin in the
>cartridge and change it routinely every week, or waste a day or two's worth of
>infusion set usage by having to change it early because the cartridge has run
>out.  What do you do?
>I'm interested to know what others do.
>IDDM 34 years, D-Tron 3 weeks and loving it!

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)