[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #236

In a message dated 19/10/2002 00:08:49 GMT Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> Lyndsay McCann <email @ redacted>
> >HELP!!!!!I am trying desperatly to get my son onto an insulin pump but
> >cannot find a diabetic team willing to give clinical support. The excuse
> is
> >"lack of recources" even although we are prepared to fund it ourselves.A
> ny
> >suggestions as how we proceed. We live near Edinburgh.

Hello Lyndsay

I had trouble getting our consultant to accept that I wanted our daughter to
go on the insulin pump, but after persuasion (and telling him that he would
be the last hospital to catch on), I got him to agree to see my daughter at
clinic, but I have funded it myself and I will be accepting all
responsibilities, etc.

You say you are near Edinburgh.  I am sure there will be someone who comes
forward to give you some advice.  I will ask our pump nurse if she knows
anything about your area.

Keep your fingers crossed and don't give in.  Contact the pump companies and
get their information packs sent out to you and arm yourself with as much
information as you can so that, when your consultant asks you why you want
the pump, you can say all the positive things.  Please remember that he will
be all-to-eager to give you the negatives but make sure you stick to the fact
that you want the best for your son and that quality of life is important.

Please let us know how you get on.

Barbara Watson