[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #236

In a message dated 19/10/2002 00:08:49 GMT Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> Your experience is much like mine here in Ireland, where diabetics 'eat a
> healthy diet' and they tell people all vegetables are free. I was bouncing
> off the walls for days after I first heard that. Imagine you have a carb
> ratio of 1u=10g and you have lots of carrots with your tea because they're
> "free", say 250g. That's 12.5g of carb, you need 1.2 units for it, you
> can't
> understand why your BG didn't return to normal, and when you ask the idiots
> in the hospital tell you that's just the way it is or that you must have
> done something wrong and it's your own fault.

Hello Elizabeth

I can appreciate what you are saying.  I was diagnosed 29 years ago and my
mum was told to give us eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, etc etc
as much as we wanted.  She said that if we were hungry we could have as much
veg and meat and eggs as we wanted.  They were called red lines because they
had no effect on the blood sugar and everything that had an effect were
called black lines.  I always remember my sister asking my mum for some red

Funny how things change isn't it?

Barbara Watson