Re: [IPk] Carb counting

Hi Jackie
I taught myself - mainly by trial and error and experience over the years.
Though when I was diagnosed in the 70s I was sort of taught to carb count -
and did rather like you do now. Once I started pumping and had the tools to
be more accurate with the insulin, I tightened up a lot on carb counting,
mainly by figuring out my insulin-carb ratio etc (by experimentation) and
seeing how things affected my BG by testing a lot. Fats and proteins tend to
affect people very differently, so it's really something you have to figure
out for yourself. I don't think you'd have much difficulty adjusting to carb
counting for pumping, given what you do now. I think some places that offer
pump training will do a full carb counting training as well. Pump training
seems to differ a lot though - my training consisted of showing me how to
fill the pump and insert it (a total of about 10 minutes) - whereas other
people have had 3 day courses or even longer.