Re: [IPk] Dietetic Support

>The dietician also told me they ignore fat in the UK.  I told her that >I
>had a program on my pump to cover fat...that fat peaked a couple of >hours
>later for me.  She told me that fat had no effect on my blood >sugar.

One of the Minimed brochures includes a graph,reproduced from the American
Diabetes Association, showing the way carb, protein, and fat are converted
to glucose. And indeed, there is a curve for fat. Something like 10% of fat
is converted to glucose, but it's over a very long period of time. Very
difficult to cover in advance.

Your experience is much like mine here in Ireland, where diabetics 'eat a
healthy diet' and they tell people all vegetables are free. I was bouncing
off the walls for days after I first heard that. Imagine you have a carb
ratio of 1u=10g and you have lots of carrots with your tea because they're
"free", say 250g. That's 12.5g of carb, you need 1.2 units for it, you can't
understand why your BG didn't return to normal, and when you ask the idiots
in the hospital tell you that's just the way it is or that you must have
done something wrong and it's your own fault. There is a dietician in
Waterford who has always taught carb counting, but I think she's unique in

Grain is the enemy of the sedentary classes.