[IPk] Dietetic Support

I am very happy to see people on this site describing their problems with the
dieticians in the UK.
The diet part of pumping was taught to me in the States.  I was carb counting
1 month BEFORE I got the pump...writing down what I was eating and how much
insulin I took to cover the carbs.  I had SUCH good training in the States.
The diabetic care team I worked with was SO good.
After waiting for 4 months to get into the Diabetic Care Center in my town in
the UK, I had to see the dietician first.  I told the dietician first that I
was on an insulin pump and counted carbs.  She said they don't count carbs in
the UK...they advise diabetics to eat a "healthy" diet.  That blew my mind
away.  How was I to cover 2 Tablespoons of heavy cream I asked her.  She said
I should not be eating heavy cream (we don't have heavy cream in the States
and I have grown quite fond of it!).  I looked around her office at all the
labels she had and nothing was high in carbs or fat.  I told her the pump
gave me the freedom to eat what I wanted, when I wanted and I needed help l
earning how to cover food in the UK (alot of the labels are measured
differently).  I got a bit irate with her and she continued to tell me I did
not have to get hostile with her.  I told her I had to get hostile...we were
talking about my quality of life.
The end result was she did not have any printed material for me to take home
to study about carb and fat exchanges.  The other end result was that I don't
have to see the dieticians again.  Being a diabetic for 29+ years makes me
the best dietician for myself.  I am learning how to cover food in the UK by
trial and error (I must be doing well because the last glyco I had done here
was great).
I just could not believe what she told me.  She had nothing in print to give
me so I could take the info home and study it.  Diets are not easy to deal
The dietician also told me they ignore fat in the UK.  I told her that I had
a program on my pump to cover fat...that fat peaked a couple of hours later
for me.  She told me that fat had no effect on my blood sugar.  If fat does
not have an effect of blood sugars, why does the pump offer the dual and
square bolus?
Not a good experience at the dietician for me.
Sorry if this sounds disjointed or angry.  It is just the differences in the
health care systems I am finding difficult.
I have spoken to many people here (and home) and have decided that I know
myself better than anyone.  Obviously if I have major problems my diabetic
team is here to help.
Daun (diabetic for 29+ years, pumper for 18 months)