Re: [IPk] Dietetic Support

In a message dated 10/17/2002 12:34:21 PM GMT Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I don't think, once you've absorbed the very basic knowledge about what
> carbohydrate, protein, fat and alcohol do to most people's bgs, and what
> the glycaemic index is, that you need a dietician in order to make some
> great strides.  You need a statisitician.  You need the time to write
> down what you actually eat, and what it actually does, and the time to
> think about that, to guess what difference you need to make to
> calculations, and to continue on in the process of trial, recording, and
> modification.
I agree totally, Pat.

Can I also emphasise that getting correct basal rates set is crucial - if you
don't get those sorted out before you experiment with different foods, you
are likely to get misleading results.

I have to admit that I'm still disappointed that my eating habits haven't
been affected by the pump - I still have to follow the old-fashioned diabetic
diet of little "neat" sucrose.  Not for me the cheery "you can eat puddings
and even have sugar in coffee!" promises - not unless I plan in advance with
insulin an hour or so before, which kind of takes the spontaneity (and
pleasure) out of it.  I have the same, relatively healthy, diet as before the
pump (I do enjoy it, by the way!) - the difference is that I get much better
results now.