email @ redacted writes:

Hi Di, and all,
> Hmm, it seems unlikely that many people have used an insulin pump in
> hospital!
> Usually,  if you're on a pump and go into hospital, they take one look at
> it
> and put you straight onto a drip, though there have been cases where
> they've
> let people keep their pumps (and I believe it's becoming more popular). And
> if you're not already on a pump, I've certainly never heard of any cases
> where people have been put on one, rather than an insulin drip!
> Di
Most folk are put on intravenous insulin when hospitalised because a) most
medics don't know much about pumps or how they work, so are reluctant to keep
a patient on them and b) when you're really ill or having major surgery etc,
your various hormone and steroid levels are very different from "normal",
your bg response will be unpredictable and pump insulin absorption time is
too long to cope with this - that's also one reason why a non-pumper wouldn't
be put on a pump in preference to IV.  (I personally would prefer to have IV
insulin in such a situation.)  BUT I do think that pump is preferable for
short (especially elective) ops - I am due to have a smallish op soon, wanted
pump and have the backing of my diabetes consultant on using it then - or
during admissions for less serious conditions if you're well enough to use
the pump yourself.