[IPk] INFUSION PUMPS; SAFETY ISSUES

We have been approached by the NPSA  regarding a survey on the above
subject. A copy of their self explantatory notice is below.

If you would be willing to take part in this research or would like to
discuss this possibility, please contact me either by e-mail on by phone on
01590 677911 and I will forward your name and address to the NPSA, who will
contact you to make further arrangements.

Regards,

John Davis,
INPUT.

INFUSION PUMPS:  SAFETY ISSUES

WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO HELP WITH A RESEARCH PROJECT?

The National Patient Safety Agency (NPSA) is currently studying safety
issues concerning the use of infusion pumps and would like to hear the views
and experiences of patients and carers.

We would like to interview people who used an infusion pump during a stay in
hospital within the last five years. You may have used an infusion pump for
treatment, such as chemotherapy, the infusion of insulin to control diabetes
or for pain or symptom control (for nausea or vomiting) following an
investigation, treatment or surgery.  It could be that, as a consequence of
gastric or bowel surgery, you required an infusion pump to feed you
intravenously (TPN).  You may or may not be still using the pump, but it is
the use whilst in hospital which is of interest in this research.  We would
also be pleased to talk to spouses and other carers, if they would like to
contribute to this study.

The interviews will take place in your home and we would like to offer you
#25 in thanks for your time.   All information will be treated in strictest
confidence.  A decision to take part (or not) in this research will have no
effect whatsoever on your current treatment and care.

The NPSA is a Special Health Authority set up to coordinate the efforts of
those involved in providing health care and to learn from the experiences of
both patients and staff.

Dr Ann Richardson
Research Director