Re: [IPk] my response to the DAFNE trial published in the BMJ

Hi Di,

This begins to make sense - the thread was about why you'ld keep the
pump, even if you could get a long acting insulin which matched your
basal pattern (the argument of DAFNE being that most people can find
such an insulin, and it's only the really weird folks like you and me
who can't).

So that's why I was confused - your were arguing that you would keep the
pump 'because you needed it', even though you 'didn't'!

Best wishes,

In message <email @ redacted>, Diana
Maynard <email @ redacted> writes
>> I still don't get it. If you need different basal rates at different
>> times, and there is a long-acting insulin which gives you those
>> different rates, then you don't need a pump to give you those different
>> rates.
>> Say you needed to have 1 unit p/h from 5am to 10am, and then 0.7 ph
>> until 5m, and then 0.5 p/h until 5am.   It might be that Monotard (or
>> some other insulin) would give you that pattern.  Then the pump wuuld
>> have no advantage. But if you can't find a long-acting which matches the
>> pattern, then you need the pump.  Having 'different rates at different
>> times' isn't a problem which pumps solve.  Having 'different rates at
>> different times which cannot be matched by any long-acting insulin' is
>> the problem - but you seem to be ruling that out as your problem.
>Hi Pat
>The problem is that there isn't currently a long-acting insulin that will
>give me the stable basal rates I need. I've tried them all except Lantus, and
>I've tried just about all possible combinations of timing and number of
>injections. I doubt Lantus would work for me because I have varying basal
>needs at different times of day.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)