Re: [IPk] my response to the DAFNE trial published in the BMJ

I'm with di for all her reasons (apart from the first, which is
tautologous - if mdi gives you a stable base, then the fact that a pump
does doesn't make it an advantage). But she's missed out one other
reason to prefer a pump over mdi: it is very useful to clip your
clothing together when elastic fails.

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, pretty certain she'll get a hold on this 'getting
dressed' stuff any day now).

In message <email @ redacted>, Diana
Maynard <email @ redacted> writes
>Gosh - no way would I rather be on MDI even if it did get me stable basal
>1. I wouldn't be able to have different basal rates at different times of the
>2. I wouldn't be able to adjust my insulin as easily to deal with a high or
>3. I wouldn't be able to turn off my insulin or turn it down for e.g.
>4. I wouldn't be able to simulate a square wave bolus for covering meals with
>high fat or grazing type meals.
>5. I wouldn't be able to split my meals up over several smaller snacks
>without taking more injections.
>In fact, I can't think of a single reason why I'd prefer MDI to a pump.
>> Not at all I think most pumpers would prefer to be on MDI if
>> they had stable basal rates.  If you don't have stable basal
>> rates a pump is the only way to ensure both a good HbA1c AND
>> stable blood sugars.
>> As I have stated previously, on MDI my HbA1c's were always 6.
>> something but that was at the expense of severe night time
>> hypos (I always felt too low was less damaging than too high
>> but it is great now to rarely have either!!).
>> Bev

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)