Re: [IPk] pump vs mdi

email @ redacted writes:

Hi all,

> if I could get the same level of control i.e. A1 c, with no more frequent or
> severe or unrecgnised hypos and the same flexibility I would be just as
> happy
> on MDI ( always a bit anxious at airports etc on pump)
> As the most excercise I tend to do is a gentle swim, or occasionally a
> longish
> walk I could probably get away with adjusting the las injection and eating a
> little more.
> But my absorption of NPH was so erratic. And my basals at the moment vary
> from
> 0.4 to 1.1
I couldn't agree more, having had the same problems that Abi details. (Don't
worry about airports, Abi - staff are getting more clued up, and there's
plenty of experience within this list!)

Let's face it, some of us NEED to be on a pump because nothing else,
including intensive MDI, has worked.  Personally, I can hardly believe the
improvements in my control and life in general; there are a few disadvantages
(as referred to by others previously), but it's easy to adjust (and aren't we
all used to doing that anyway?).

I have strong feelings about the "designer pump" concept, i.e. "I must have a
pump because that's the best treatment available" - no, it isn't necessarily
- most people will do just fine with usual or MDI therapy.  I don't think
every diabetic has the right to have a pump, but I do think that those for
whom the alternatives haven't been successful do.  I'll say it - I think that
those who don't really need a pump, but want one, may be obstructing those
who do, particularly from the funding aspect...

...But I hear that things are looking good on the NICE front, brought forward
to Feb 2003, hope yet for those of us with unsuccessful funding applications!

IDDM 30+, 508 23m