Re: [IPk] my response to the DAFNE trial published in the BMJ

> My (personal - othrs may differ) reasons for choosing Disetronic over
> Minimed (am I allowed to discuss this one here?) are:
> a) I like the idea of a backup pump, which will be available to me much
> more quickly than any replacement by courier.
> b) The starting cost is lower (I will have to self-fund or fund-raise).
> c) The recent postings on here raising doubts on the Minimed product
> support. This is one thing that has to be absolutely rock solid, and I'm
> not currently convinced of this for Minimed. This may change when their
> reorganisation is complete, but for now is a factor. If the Disetronic
> support has any problems, at least I would have the second pump which would
> insulate me from the problem.

Hi Julian (and others)
Yes, you're perfectly entitled to discuss your reasons for your choice of
pump. It is a very personal choice, and people's reasons differ a lot. At the
end of the day, both makes of pump are equally effective and equally
reliable. They just differ a little as to the bells and whistles (e.g. being
able to do square wave boluses, how the temporary basal setting works,
whether it's waterproof or not, etc. etc.) and to the form of support and
training offered. I know one person who chose one pump over another because
he liked the website better :-)

I too like the idea of the Disetronic second pump. But remember, you'd only
have that second pump if you'd pre-arranged it. If you were just going about
your daily business and your pump broke down, you might have just as much
difficulty getting a replacement as you would have with Minimed.
Remember also that we tend to hear about when things go wrong on this list.
I'm sure most of Minimed's technical support has been fine (indeed, it always
used to be until the recent problems).