RE: [IPk] my response to the DAFNE trial published in the BMJ

Basically, I emailed Disetronic and said "I want to do a pump trial". ;-)

Previously I talked to my consultant, GP and DSN at the clinic. I also
joined an email list some time ago...

I am at the Royal Free, so they are familiar with pumps, but I have no
prospect of being funded on a medical basis (others have far stronger
medical needs). I think that the Health Authority fund 2 pumps a year at the
Royal Free.

I've held off because life was very busy, and I wanted to do the trial at a
point when I have time to learn it properly - that implies this November or
next January. Also, I was not a position to commit up to #15k over the next
7-8 years.

My (personal - othrs may differ) reasons for choosing Disetronic over
Minimed (am I allowed to discuss this one here?) are:

a) I like the idea of a backup pump, which will be available to me much more
quickly than any replacement by courier.
b) The starting cost is lower (I will have to self-fund or fund-raise).
c) The recent postings on here raising doubts on the Minimed product
support. This is one thing that has to be absolutely rock solid, and I'm not
currently convinced of this for Minimed. This may change when their
reorganisation is complete, but for now is a factor. If the Disetronic
support has any problems, at least I would have the second pump which would
insulate me from the problem.

The Royal Free is generally a Minimed shop, but I would rather go with my
choice, since I may move and if I proceed to use a pump it's a long term
(5-8 year) commitment. (Is that longer than the average marriage these days?
Hmmmm).

Julian