[IPk] Re: Kathryn Latham

In a message dated 09/10/2002 09:28:53 GMT Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> My name is Kathryn Latham, I am 25 yrs old and have had diabetes since I
> was 9. I am originally from Canada but have been living in the UK for the
> past 5yrs, at present I am living in Loughborough, Leics. I have good
> control of my diabetes through education, an active lifestyle and the
> philosophy that I will beat diabetes not the other way around. I am
> interested in learning more about the insulin pump as I would like tighter
> control and be able to get a good night's sleep for once!!

Hello Kathryn

I am also diabetic and have been since I was 10 years old.  My daughter is 8
and has been diabetic for 1 year.  I do not have a pump but I have bought one
for my daughter and we are anxiously awaiting connection.  I have a relative
very near you (Bitteswell) who is diabetic and is currently looking for
funding for a pump and the approval from her consultant.  I think you stand a
good chance in that area because one of the hospitals in Leicester has
patients on pumps.  What you need to do is get hold of as much information
you can about the pump.  I rang one of the pump companies and they sent an
information pack and video.  It was really helpful.  The next stage was to
explain the the consultant that this was what we wanted (some of them take so
me convincing, but don't let it put you off) and then we had a home visit
from the pump nurse.

Please let us all know how you get on.

Barbara Watson