Re: [IPk] Bent cannulas

In message <email @ redacted>,
Smith, Beverley <email @ redacted> writes
>My question is - why did it work
>normally all night only to fail in the morning?  As the
>canula was at 90 deg shouldn't the meter have bleeped at me
>that the tubing was blocked?  Anyway blood sugars were back
>to normal by 6 pm and have remained normal since.

I have had a fair number of bent cannulas - once with a soft set
inserted with the whanger, had with about half the hand-inserted soft-
sets, and with every whanger inserted quickset.  I've observed just the
pattern you describe.

Sometimes they alarm, sometimes they don't.  They often alarm halfway
through a bolus.

Bent cannulas seem able to cope with a low-level seep of basal, but not
with a high level basal, nor with a bolus (i.e. anything above 0.5 or
0.6 an hour, it doesn't deliver, but doesn't back up enough to sound an
alarm until more than a unit or so is being delivered at once - and then
not always).

I've come to realise that the 'no delivery' alarm on the pump is not to
be relied upon, and that with a faulty insertion, bgs can climb much
higher than you'ld expect, given the small amount of insulin that is

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, hoping that York Uni's website is back up before I go
to the eye clinic, I've got some library books to renew ....)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)