Re: [IPk] Re: Heather's son

>I've seen 2 pumps available in the US that can deliver pre-set bolus at set
>times to cover meals (Deltec's Cozmo and Sooil's Dana pump) and am trying to
>find out more. Does anyone know anything about these?

You can set the basal of the 508 so that, in effect, it does this.  What
you do is, say the normal basal rate is 0.4 per hour, from the hours of
8am to 3pm, and you want to give a 5 unit 'bolus' at 12.30.  You set:
8am: 0.4 p/h
12.30: 5.2 p/h
1pm 0.4 p/h

This means that the bolus is delivered over a half-hour (a short square
bolus, in effect, but it also means that if lunch is delayed a little,
it won't matter so much.  If you find that having the 'bolus' over half
an hour is causing highs after the meal, you can always move the time so
that it's injected in the half-hour before (and you can set the clock of
the pump off by 15 mins, or whatever, if you need it injected in 15 mins
before, 15 mins after.

In this way you can 'pre-bolus' as many meals and snacks as you like.
Because with the minimed there are three basal rates, you can pre-
programme a 'school day with meal boluses' rate, a 'normal day with no
boluses' rate, and use the third for sick days, sports days, weekends,
or anything else which regularly happens and has a distinct pattern.
Teachers or your son could be taught to switch from 'pattern A' to
'pattern B' if there is something (e.g.. sickness, fire in kitchen)
which stops him from eating lunch.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+)
Pat Reynolds