[IPk] Re Rosie's son James

Hi Rosie,

OK, I would imagine that cooked school lunches would take a little more
effort but I'm sure that the school could provide you with all the nutrional
info you require in order to calculate the amount of carbohydrate in the
meals. You could then, if you wanted, make a table of possible values and
corresponding boluses for James to use. It would be a case of simple
arithmatic. Certainly more difficult than a packed lunch but not
The only pumps I've come across people commonly using in the UK are from
Medtronic and Disetronic. We are using the Medtronic 508. A pre-set bolus -
well,as you've said, what James is eating is going to vary from day to day
(although I would suspect not by much) so therefore his bolus would vary
each day. The pump is incredibly simple to use and I'm sure that James would
be able to do his own bolus very quickly and easily. Would your school agree
to a member of staff standing over him whilst he does it?

Tame though it sounds, I think you're better off staying with a pump that is
known in this country to ensure that you have access to support here.

Inserting the cannula is absolutely not painful. Initially, we were all
apprehensive about changing the infusion set, it felt complicated and a big
deal and I'm sure our anxiety was transferred to Sam. Now (and we're only 2
months into using the pump) it really is a piece of cake.

We ordered a soft belt and pouch from Medtronic and so the pump sits in the
pouch which is made out of wetsuit material attached to the belt. This
eliminated problems (for a just 5 yr old) of pulling trousers up and down. I
was concerned about him sleeping with his pump but in all honesty he is
oblivious to it being there and it remains on the belt unless he's bathing
or swimming when we disconnect. I am quite amazed at how unaffected he has
been by the physical presense of his pump. The only difference I have
noticed is that he is careful about pulling pants/swimming trunks down over
the infusion set which is on the top of his bottom. So far it hasn't got
caught on anything and he is a VERY active and physical child.

I know you've addressed the question about sweets to Andrew but I do want to
chip in!  Yes, yes, yes!!!! Whilst we are, obviously, sticking to healthy
eating, it is brilliant to have the flexibility to let Sam eat what he
wants. (He doesn't have a very sweet tooth, but like any child, he does want
to eat rubbish somethimes!) The freedom to eat to appetite rather than the
dose of insulin already injected is staggering. It gives Sam the freedom to
decide, after he's had his cereal in the morning that he fancies a pices of
toast. He no longer has an afternoon snack because he doesn't want/need it.
He chooses to have a morning snack because all his class does. Food and
timing of food has been the most liberating aspect of the pump and I had no
idea how much I'd grown to 'dislike' food because of all the constraints.
It's wonderful and I cannot imagine life without it.

Which part of the country are you in Rosie?
Anyway, enough rambling for now.