Re: [IPk] Re Andrew's son

Just to add to the conversation
My son chris , changed to pump therapy on his birthday, He was 10 3 weeks

We are using the Minimed 508 and he has no problem giving himself boluses
and setting temp basals
( though he does have his mobile at school just in case things go wrong ).
To use the pump , you just have to know the carb ratings of foods ( which Im
sure you are already doing ) to estimate the
bolus rates. And really after only a few weeks of use, we have this off par.
No problem.
I have even found that most chains of restuarants even have charts available
to show exact nutritional
info. ( eg.,Starbucks, Pizza Hut , KFC . Though these are also available at
the companies web sites ).
I also use a small database in my palm pilot to store effective basal rates
to various food sources ( after
all , in the first few months its a learning process ).

We are using the quick set infusion set but have had a few problems ( bent
cannulas, healing up of infusion
site in less than 2 days and thus stopping delivery, finding the most
effective site area ) but these are just teething problems. Im hoping that
these will decrease as experience increases.
Seeing the change in him ( happier, contented ) and the change to the whole
families life style I cant see us going back to injections.

Good luck

Just as an addendum, the UK support from MINIMED has been excellent. Dont
know if this is the general
feeling though.