Re: [IPk] Re Andrew's son

Sam averages between 6 & 8 tests a day.  These have never bothered him as he's grown up with BG tests being part of his daily routine.

He uses a Minimed 508 pump.  The basal rates for this can be programmed down to the half hour - i.e. it is possible to have 48 different half-hourly rates in any one day (rather more than most people need!).  It would therefore be possible to program a higher rate to deliver a meal bolus, but you would have to make sure that the patient then ate the right amount at the right time - just the same as being on MDI.

Sam uses Silhouettes, inserted in a part of his anatomy that means he can't insert them himself.  However, I doubt that he could do it himself if he were able to use his tummy, for example.  We insert them by hand, preferring this to the automatic insertion device that is available.  I'm not sure about the pain factor.  Sam was never keen on injections in certain sites, but has hardly ever complained about inserting the canulla.  Once every 2 or 3 days is far preferable to several times a day.

His pump has made a huge difference to his life, especially allowing him to eat what he wants, when he wants (within reason).  The occasional packet of sweets could be dealt with, although we actually keep away from them (a pre-diabetes family rule).  Provided you can reasonably estimate the carbohydrate content of an occasional treat, then they can be eaten virtually anytime.  Of course there are times when the estimate may be wrong, but that is what the extra BG testing is for - to allow you to correct accordingly if BG levels are too high or too low.

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IPk] Re Andrew's son

> Andrew,
> Thanks for replying. I am very interested because your son is a similar age
> to mine - James is 9 . How many blood tests does he have to do now that he's
> been on it for a while? James  is very good about doing these and does two at
> school most days.
> Which sort of pump does he use, and what sort of cannula. Can he insert it
> himself? How does it compare with injuection pain?
> Does it give him the freedom to eat, say, a packet of sweets occassionally?
> Rosie

Freeserve AnyTime, only #13.99 per month with one month's FREE trial!
For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on 0800 970 8890