                 Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 20:27:12 +0100
                 From: "Jackie Jacombs" <email @ redacted>
                 Subject: [IPk] Low blood sugars during exercise

                 I wonder if anyone could make some suggestions that might
help in this
                 situation.  My daughter 8 years goes to a gymnastics club on
a Friday
                 her age group goes at 6.30 to 7.30 pm so she eats her
evening meal
                 before we
                 go at about  5.30 pm  as it's too late by the time we get
back to have
                 evening meal.  We give her the normal amount of insulin to
cover the
                 ( usually 3 units of Novorapid)  and a chocolate bar about
half an hour
                 before we go.  The last three times she has gone quite low
during Gym
                 mmols and had to stop and have glucose tabs etc.  I am not
sure what to
                 It's going to be so late by the time she comes home from Gym
to cook
                 and eat
                 the evening meal as we don't get back home until 8pm.  I am
                 if I give her less insulin with her meal whether she will go
                 Any Ideas??? about handling this situation.  Like giving
less insulin
                 the evening meal then giving another unit with her evening
snack when
                 get home? Or giving Actrapid instead of Novorapid.  We
haven't come
                 this situation before as most of the sports things were much
                 and she
                 always ate  and took the insulin afterwards.

                 Sasha is not a pumper.

                 Insulatard x2
                 Novorapid x 2
                 Jackie Jacombs