Re: [IPk] Medical Conservatism (was medical ignorance)

>>Am I right in thinking that - sociologically - academic research and
>>medicine are the two most hidebound and traditional professional areas of
I rub shoulders with a fair few professional areas (professionally, I'm
a museum curator and a local government officer, I rub up against field
archaeologists, fundraisers, national and regional government officers,
librarians, archivists, community/voluntary sector support workers and
so on).  I'm also a part-time research student (archaeology).

I'd like to separate out 'attitude to theory' (i.e. do we ask the same
questions, and give them the same answers, or are we looking for new
answers to old questions, or even for new questions) and the larger
attitude or 'culture' - who gets to say what questions and answers are
OK, when we go for lunch (together, alone???), how the support staff get
treated, whether the focus is on imput, output or outcome and so on.

I don't think that academic departments are particularly hidebound when
it comes to ideas, but are particularly hidebound in culture, allowing
practices to continue where government and the voluntary/community
sectors have had a hard look at themselves and their institutions.

Archaeology (like some other social sciences) is what someone has called
a 'parasite' subject, continually stealing other's questions and
answers.  Innovation - being different - is possible, is necessary even,
but it is down strongly laid tracks.  For example, every archaeology PhD
thesis seems to have a small rant about the difference between
archaeology and history.  But no one ever mentions the difference
between archaeology and music, or archaeology and theology.

Best wishes to all,

(who has had it explained to her in words of one syllable that while as
a good little archaeologist she is allowed to be influenced by Bourdieu,
but not Fanon)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)