Re: [IPk] Medical Conservatism (was medical ignorance)

>Does that make sense to anyone other than me?

Each to his own :-)

I've denied my Cambridge University maths degree when working in areas
where it was of zero value. I've also been intentionally vague about what
my degree class (a "Special") really meant - the employer interviewing me
thought it was a good degree (it wasn't) so I didn't say anything, and I
got the job as systems manager. There we are.

Julian - back to your original question, people who practice medicine that
is not based on a proven body of knowledge, are generally called quacks. I
would rather my doctor was conservative and didn't suggest the latest
maybe-perhaps unproven idea that had sprung into his head on the way to the
surgery. But maybe that's just me :-) The thing about medicine is that a
poor decision can often result in death, and that is quite hard to undo.

But I do accept that diabetes is a very unusual disease in which medicine
has few answers, and in which we are encouraged to be our own doctors.

mailto:email @ redacted