Re: [IPk] Medical Conservatism (was medical ignorance)

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 10:54, you wrote:
> Hi Di
> But what about the actual process of becoming an academic researcher - you
> do your PHd, closely supervised by a practitioner, learning by example and
> conversation how to innovate?

You can become an academic researcher without a PhD. Amazingly, some of the
very top people in the field don't have a PhD (though most do). You just
don't get paid so much :-)
As for close supervision, learning by example, etc. ..... well that wasn't
the case for me. I saw my supervisor about 3 times a year,  and communicated
about once every few months, and was the only person in my university apart
from her working in the field I was in. I learnt mostly by reading books and
papers in my field, a lot of experimenting, and talking to people from
completely different fields.

> It's interesting how "Dr" can be very good for a job application - or very
> bad for a "non-academic" job application ("head in the clouds" prejudices
> and all that).

it can be useful for a lot of non-academic things - in fact, it's probably
far more useful outside academia :-)