Re: [IPk] Medical Conservatism (was medical ignorance)

>Am I right in thinking that - sociologically - academic research and
>medicine are the two most hidebound and traditional professional areas of

Medicine as it's practised, most certainly seems conservative. Maybe
academic research is different; there is the scope - and the expectation -
to be innovative.  Although increasingly an academic would also need to have
an eye to the product and profit required by the pharmaceutical or biotech
company sponsoring him/her.  And some people in medical research seem to
have a horror of patient groups!

My spouse organises scientific conferences and I remember in particular a
conference on chronic fatigue syndrome/ME, which revealed some big gaps
between the medics trying to treat it, the "Its all in the mind" fraternity,
the researchers pursuing what may or may not have been biochemical
differences in muscles and nerves - and the patient groups who were mostly
just fed up that they weren't involved and informed.  Much discussion took
place .... no solutions were arrived at.