RE: [IPk] Sliding scale vs. pumps

Sliding scale insulin therapy is generally used when people with diabetes
who take insulin are  unable to absorb insulin or food in the usual way.
When you are ketoacidotic you become dehydwated as all the body fluids are
being passed out in the urine.The pottassium levels become depleted so they
are replaced along with the fluid by intravenous infusion. The insulin will
not be absorbed so well as the circulating blood thickens and is more
sluggish which is why the insulin pump may be temporarily discontinued. If
you continue the pump whilst in this state, once you are rehydrated you can
sometimes get a crashing hypo as the circulatory sysyem gets into gear
again. Also they do not generally bring the glucose back to absolute normal
ie having been in a state of ketoacidosis 98mmols would be accepyable fopr
the same reason until you start your previous therapy whether it be pump or
MDI. The aim is not to stabilise you on IV insulin but to correct the keotic
state the illness has caused. In theory all of us on pumps are treating our
diabetes with a sliding scale as we match the dose to food actinity etc
Carmel