Re: [IPk] poorly-controlled diabetics are following me

In message <email @ redacted>, Diana
Maynard <email @ redacted> writes
>He's had type I for a number of
>years now, and won't test because he says it hurts his fingers.

Even the modern, 'painless' prickers, on heavily calloused fingers hurt
me a lot sometimes and a little some of the time.  I could only get
started when I was on painkilling drugs (coproximol/distalgesic) for
sinusitus.  This was despite really wanting to take charge of my

I think another part of the reluctance to take control is that it's
always presented not as taking control but as compliance.  The 'healthy
eating' diet is, in my opinion, the worst of all worlds: you don't
adjust insulin, so it's lousy for control, and when you end up eating
non-'healthy' foods, you feel lousy because you aren't complying with
the diet.  Far, Thank the gods I avoided dieticians from 1983 to 2001!

Best wishes to all,

(who is still struggling with baked beans - they seem to need twice the
insulin they should - other high protein foods - such as cheese on toast
don't do this!).

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)