Re: [IPk] poorly-controlled diabetics are following me

What a timely mail, Elizabeth. I'm reading this while taking a break from
writing the patient responses chapter for the new Diabetes Service
Development Group report, a sort of NSF for Ireland. I have sought
individual submissions through Identity, but received....none! I'm
incorporating reports from a number of studies relating to patients'
experiences of their care, and views obtained at a recent weekend meeting of
branch leaders. It's not enough input from people with diabetes, but it's
better than nothing. Our report is otherwise the invention of professionals.

Most of the submissions relate to older people, and those with type 2.
Perhaps you, and other users in Ireland, have comments that you would like
added to the report, I'll be happy to receive them by e-mail, either through
the list, or directly at email @ redacted . Feel free to do this even if
you live North of the border, as I am participating in the same exercise for
Northern Ireland, although of course the natural home for such material
there is Kate Fleck of DiabetesUK NI,  email @ redacted

Elizabeth, you might be happy to learn that I'm designing a patient-held
record which involves us in more than a quarterly telling off about our
results, I'd be happy to give you a copy to try out, it's in a late draft
form at this stage. Finally, the DFI is changing format this November, and
soon afterwards I'm hoping to organise some diabetes education weekends
using the expertise of a local Registrar, our own diabetes nurse Anna
Clarke, myself, and possibly other 'expert patients'. I don't even have to
ask whether you'd be interested, do I? The difficulty of course is not
designing these resources, but making them attractive to people who for many
reasons are not getting to grips with their diabetes at the time. I believe
offering something from our own community, detached from the clinics, might
be an attractive alternative to some.

Sorry to other readers in the UK, you do have the NSF to look forward to,
but this has frustratingly been put on hold for another year. At least the
expected standards under which you will be offered diabetes care will be
published later this year. Keep up the pressure on your local politicians to
ensure the whole document receives priority for implementation in 2002/3.

Look forward to hearing from you

Tony O'Sullivan