Re: [IPk] FW: Funding for pumps?

=20?= esdnerkb.com>

Hi Sally
My opinion is that unless you're very unlucky with your local health
authority, if you pester them enough they will eventually give in and fund at
least the ongoing costs, if not the pump itself. It may take months of letter
writing and phone calls, but if you are determined enough you will probably
get there.  A lot of people start off paying themselves, and then get their
pump funded later (of course, being able to prove the improvement in your
control is a help).
Sadly, all too often if you have had bad control (and evidence of it)
pre-pump, then they're more likely to agree to fund it for you.

I got my pump when I was in Manchester and had to pay for the pump itself,
but got the supplies for free.
Then I moved to Sheffield and after a bit of persuasion, got the supplies for
free. At first my request for a new pump was turned down, but after some more
persuasion and letter writing they finally agreed to buy me a new pump (on a
permanent loan basis). If I didn't have complications from diabetes already,
I probably would have had more difficulty persuading them.
Di