Re: [IPk] getting connected

> Hi All
> Well, the big day has arrived.  Tomorrow my son, Steven (11) goes on
> the minimed pump.
> Any good tips to do with a child on a pump would be gratefully
> received!
Hi Alison,

My daughter also started at age 11, some 7 years ago. Don't try to
get "tight" control, rather concentrate on eliminating highs and
lows as the rest will come naturally. Let him live as you do. Sleep
in, etc... He will be able to eat most anything. Problem foods will
be things like pizza, sweets with frosting (the frosting is the
problem). Most everything else is easy. Check his basal profiles for
changes periodically as adolescent children can exhibit big changes
in insulin needs fairly often. A 30% or more increase in insulin
requirements is not uncommon over a period of a week or two when he
enters a growth spurt. My daughter spent several months at 90 units a
day the year she grew 3 inches and now, at age 18, uses about 30
units a day.

My best to Steve, have a treat ready for him when he goes "live" :-)