RE: [IPk] Pork insulin/ novorapid

I must admit I have always been very glad to have been moved
onto Human Insulin.  Injecting myself with the refined
product of mashed-up pig pancreases always struck me as a bit
archaic.  I experienced no problems with animal insulins and
no problems with human insulins either (except a mega
long-acting insulin which resulted in me spending a year if
my like in a zombie like state where I could not remember
what I had done for days at a time - but that is a different
story).  My problems with severe night-time hypos only
started a year or so ago (nothing to do with human insulin)
and now of course have been fixed by being able to vary my
basal rates through the night.

I have noticed since being on the pump that I am much better
able to predict my BG's prior to testing.  I know when my BG
is less than 3.5 and more than 10 far better than I used to.
I assume this is due to the tighter control I now have.  I do
wonder whether animal insulins, as they do work more slowly,
simply gave people longer to realise they were having a hypo
(as Tony pointed out) and that giving people human insulin
removed the comfort blanket to a certain extent.  Hopefully
therefore the move to human insulin had the added benefit of
encouraging people to test more often and provided better
control in the long-run.  However I accept for people who
really struggled to control their diabetes the comfort
blanket may have been a necessity.  Hopefully by now those
people will have been encouraged to try a pump and will have
the dual benefits of human insulin and better control - or am
I an eternal optimist!

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader