[IPk] Mixed news

Hello All

I realise I've not been around the group for ages (Busy at work etc) but
I've had what you might call an exciting week!

Bad news first - I spent last week in the Northern General Hospital here in
Sheffield with a nasty kidney infection which triggered DKA.  I started
feeling unwell on Friday 5th Oct.  My sugars were all over the place but I
kept plugging on with the boluses and they seemed to settle.  I slept all
day Saturday - not even being awake nought to test, and when I woke on
Sunday I knew there was something wrong and called the doctor.  By this time
I was vomiting with abdominal pain and a Bg of 22.2 which is as high as my
meter will read.

I was admitted with DKA which they tied down to the kidney infection.  I was
taken off my pump which was very much against my wishes and put on a sliding
scale. When like this I am very hard to cannulate as I have very poor veins
and during the next 36 hours first my IV fluids and then my insulin (!) were
turned off because the cannula was failing and setting off alarms on the IV
pump (IVAC).  On the Monday evening after 3 hours without insulin my sugar
was back at 19.2 and I was severely stressed about the whole thing.  The
doctor agreed to put me back on my pump on condition that a)I didn't vomit
anymore, b)I eat properly and c)my sugars came down.  I'm afraid at this
point these conditions sounded like I was being told I could go back on my
pump if I *behaved* myself.

At 2300 that same evening I was transferred to another ward where I was
allowed to take responsibility for my own control and within 12-18 hours had
my sugars right where I wanted them and had cleared my ketones.  I stayed in
for the rest of the week as my white cell count remained high as I fought
the infection, and was discharged on Saturday.  I'm staying at home for a
bit to get my strength back - but I reckon I've got it licked!

An interesting point (and quite logical) which came to light while I was in
is that DKA can come on a lot quicker in a pumper as there is no backlog of
insulin to delay it's onset.  Needless to day I will be a lot more vigilant
next time I start feeling unwell!

Last but not least .....  After previous HbA1c results of 14.1%, 13.9%,
11.8% and 13.1% I got the results from my first 'fully pumped' test which
was taken at my September clinic visit.  Drumroll ....... it was 6.3%!!!  I
would have been happy with single figures but this is absolutely bang on.
And people ask if pumping makes a difference?!

Right, I'll get off my soapbox now 'cos it's time I was in bed!

Best regards to all