Re: [IPk] Glargine

>I've heard about it, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been approved over here
>yet. It sounds good in theory, but I'm still fairly sceptical. However
>smooth its action is, you're still going to have the problem of variability
>of absorption, aren't you?

Apparently not... at least that is the theory. It has been genetically
modified in such a way that it spreads out or dissolves, but doesn't
actually enter the blood stream. So you are not reliant on the good or bad
absorption from the spot where you happened to inject it last night. That
is one of the main disadvantages of Insulatard, Ultratard, all the cloudy
insulins, they stay where you inject them.

Found some good stuff as ever at

and the full technical spec at

Don't quite understand how or whether they get the glargine to "stop" at
exactly 24 hours. But there we are...

A researcher I spoke to at a JDF(UK) conference told me about another
insulin they have under development which has an albumin molecule attached
to the insulin molecule. The insulin enters the bloodstream but doesn't
work until the albumin molecule drops off sometime later. By having the
long acting insulin distributed about the entire body, you don't get a
sudden release of insulin due to exercise. Or something like that.

Pat - in response to your idea of 2-4 times daily Ultratard, yes in theory.
In practice, as a doctor explained to me, the body's immune systems can
after a while target and isolate the pockets of very long acting insulin,
giving rise to unpredictable release, which is the exact opposite of what
you want.

mailto:email @ redacted