Re: [IPk] Glargine

In message <l03130304b62048634c62@[]>, John Neale
<email @ redacted> writes
>Does anyone have any info about the new long-acting insulin called
>"glargine"? It's made by Aventis (who used to be called Hoechst) and goes
>under the trade name of "Lantus".
>It seems that this clear soluble insulin lasts about 36 hours and unlike
>Insulatard and other cloudy insulins, it doesn't have a peak. This makes it
>excellent for providing a reasonably steady basal rate, much like a pump
>can, but without the inconvenience of wearing a pump!
As Aventis' press release (http://www2.aventis.com/press/pr_109.htm)
makes clear, once a drug/therapy is approved in one country in the EU,
it's proved across the EU. So theoretically, one can get it now (with a
private prescription - it will take some months (years, if expensive)
before it gets onto the NHS list of prescribables.

But, I do wonder how many type 1s need a flat basal. And wouldn't 2 - 4
shots of Ultralente a day give a near-flat basal?

Best wishes to all,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)