Re: [IPk] Insulin Requirements - Pumps v MDI

>There was a comment from someone this week (I am afraid I did not keep the
>posting) about insulin requirement on the pump reducing initially, but then
>returning to MDI levels?  Is this the norm?
>I have found my insulin requirement has reduced by about 30%, and am hoping
>that I can maintain this.  Maybe not a realistic hope!

Audrey -

A quote from The Insulin Pump Therapy Book (pub MiniMed) p50:

"In our practice we have found that most pump users require approximately
25 percent less insulin than their total prepump insulin dose at pump
initiation and, longterm, stabilize at a 15 to 17 percent reduction
relative to the total daily prepump dose (unpublished data 1994)."

But we're all individuals, so you just take whatever you need. I've no idea
why insulin sensitivity should fall and rise - if indeed it does. I suspect
it is all hidden in the murky depths of the body's biochemistry...

I found my insulin requirement dropped from about 50-60 units a day prepump
to about 35-45 units, and it stayed there.

btw If anyone wants to look back on any earlier emails, they are all
archived at the Insulin Pumpers UK website. So go to:

On the left you'll see a little input box, with a "search" button. Type a
couple of key words, press "search" and it will find any emails that
contain those words. To read the emails, you may have to go through a
security check by entering your email address in a special box that comes
up on the screen. The password is "pumper"

mailto:email @ redacted