Re: [IPk] Insulin Requirements - Pumps v MDI

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, you wrote:
>There was a comment from someone this week (I am afraid I did not keep the
>posting) about insulin requirement on the pump reducing initially, but then
>returning to MDI levels?  Is this the norm?
>I have found my insulin requirement has reduced by about 30%, and am hoping
>that I can maintain this.  Maybe not a realistic hope!
>What have people generally found to be the pattern?

HI Audrey
My insulin needs seem to fluctuate quite a lot.
Pre pump I was using around 50-60 units a day.
For the first few weeks on the pump, I was down to around 35 units a day,
and an average basal rate of 0.8 -0.9.
Then it started rising (NOT connected to increased food) and my basal
settled between 1.0 and 1.1 on average (depending on time of month etc.).
Which meant a total of around 40-50 units a day.
Now (18 months later) it's suddenly gone back to a basal of 0.9 (on
average) and a total of around 35-40 units a day.
I can't find any explanation for this, but I'm hoping it lasts!