Re: [IPk] actrpid vs humalog

>I am a non-pumper, but I would thought that given that pumps are more like a
>healthy pancreas, and the fact that humalog starts to work almost straight
>away (unlike actrapid which takes 30 minutes to work), I would have thought
>humalog would be preferred by most pump users.

One problem which I experience is that with me, infusion sets don't last as
long with Humalog, compared with Actrapid. The fast action of the Humalog
seems to wear out the ability of the fat to absorb the insulin. At least
that is what it seems like to me. So I use Humalog because of its speed
(which you can slow down with a squarewave bolus if necessary) and change
set every 2 days.

Also I'm told Actrapid is not "recommended" for pump therapy, as the
insulin can more easily form crystals and block the tubing. Novo produce
another insulin called Velosulin which is specially formulated to stop
crystals forming. Some people find that mixing some Velosulin with Humalog
can make the site absorb better, but this has absolutely no medical proof.
And mixing a Lilly insulin (Humalog) with a Novo insulin (Velosulin)
probably invalidates all warranties...

It's funny - I can't imagine not using Humalog any more. If I want 3rd
helpings of apple pie, that's a decision I will make after eating the first
two helpings, and only then bolus accordingly.

mailto:email @ redacted