Re: [IPk] Any advice?!

Jenny Davey asked:
>Does your control really improve a lot with a pump?

Usually. But it depends. The pump gives you the tools to get much much
better control, but it's up to you how well you use those tools. And as
elisabeth said, it will most likely encourage you to eat a less healthy
diet. Don't know what others have found...

>How do you choose between the different pumps on

Much the same way you choose a new car... hunch, instinct, desire, how nice
the salesman was, and so on. If you can, try both pumps. You may be able to
get a one month free trial on each.

As far as I can work out, the only main differences between the MiniMed 508
and the Disetronic D-TRON is that the 508 has a remote control allowing you
to hide the pump away somewhere inaccessible, and not have to fish it out
every time you want to bolus. And the D-TRON is much easier to refill: you
just drop a prefilled cartridge in. On the MiniMed you have to mess around
with needles, big syringes and bottles, trying to flick out wretched air
bubbles - having warmed the insulin to room temperature first. I speak from
experience :-)

And the D-TRON won't be available till January. In the meantime, the H-TRON
is pretty good, and I'm told they will give you a free upgrade.

There's another pump about to be released in Europe, the Animas R1000, but
no launch date is set yet.

PS Talking about the D-TRON, yes, it uses the bog standard 3ml Humalog pen
cartridge that is available on prescription. John Hughes at Disetronic
confirmed that. Slightly oddly, it won't use the Novo 3ml cartridges. Only
the Lilly ones, which are a slightly different shape. Apparently Novo
weren't very cooperative, so they designed the pump around the Lilly
cartridge instead. If you want to use a Novo insulin, you have to fill the
cartridge yourself like on the MiniMed pump. Anyhow, that's enough! I'm

mailto:email @ redacted