RE: [IPk] Non DM question to Elizabeth O'Shea or any real dinkum Americans

Shortening is a term applied to all manufactured fats and oils (except
those of margarines and low fat spreads that have a significant
non-fatty material). Basically it is a solid fat - not one of these 30%
water types of spreads..you could use a higher percentage fat spread or
butter - I would be inclined to use a sunflower oil, rather than olive
because it may influence the taste of your muffins if you need to use
quite a bit. Lard is probably the most solid shortening available but it
may add flavour (depending on your type) and it is a more saturated fat.
Hope this helps... enjoy the muffins...
Jules :)
Julette Kentish
Diabetes Research Dietitian
Royal Bournemouth Hospital
Castle Lane East - Bournemouth DORSET BH7 7DW
ph: 01202 704929
email @ redacted