[IPk] Re: ketone testing

> >So high bg without ketones means you've over eaten without bolusing
> - more
> >fool you. But high bg with ketones means something major is wrong
> and you
> >should act quickly. Normal bg with ketones - as Nanette described -
> may
> >mean you've not eaten much for a few days which is quite normal when
> you've
> >got flu.
> But you'd know this without having to test for ketones anyway,
> wouldn't you?
> I mean, if you had a high BG and might have misjudged your bolus by
> a long
> shot, you'd know.
> And ketones do take a certain amount of time to develop. If you'd had
> high
> BG for some hours, you'd know anyway and would assume the same action
> plan
> as for having ketones, whether you had them or not.

I agree with whoever wrote later that this is somewhat minimizing the
potential seriousness of DKA.  I know it is normal to have ketones if
you haven't eaten for a few days and so are breaking down body tissue
to keep going.  What happened to me though, and is not normal, and
presumably would not have happened had I not been diabetic (but I still
don't understand exactly why), and where testing ketones was helpful,
and I should have done it sooner, is that in spite of normal or near
normal blood glucose, I was developing DKA, and maybe I'm stupid, or
maybe it was my inexperience (but any half-way careful diabetic should
be inexperienced about DKA), but I was very slow at recognizing DKA.

Do You Yahoo!?