[IPk] Prescriptions

At my Health Centre practice any drugs or other regularly required products,
eg strips, are recorded on their computer system having been added by the
GP. I then simply 'phone up and request a repeat for whatever. 'Phone before
10am, prescription ready for collection after 12 noon, otherwise ready at
5pm. There is a check on this system and my wife, for example, who needs a
beta-blocker can get repeats for 6 months but then must see the GP before
qualifying for a further 6 months of repeats. For some reason the GP cannot
prescribe a 6 month supply on one prescription.

Pat Reynolds mentioned pen delivery systems being developed in Belfast. I'm
not sure about this, though I do know that a lot of development work was
done here with a pump system. Not sure of the outcome but I do know a local
GP who, while he worked as a researcher, was a guinea-pig for this project.
He assists at my local hospital diabetic clinic and I notice he still wears
a pump, though I do not know if it is a local product.