Re: [IPk] Carb Counting in the UK

Paul
Sadly it is true. They don't like carb counting over here because
essentially "it's too complicated and unnecessary". Yes, we are going
back into the dark ages :-(
I brought this up at the diet workshop at a recent BDA conference.
The dietician's answer?
"If we taught people carb counting instead of healthy eating they'd all
go off and eat Mars bars all the time instead of a balanced diet".
My response (or at least a curtailed version):
1. At least their BG will be under control.
2. The sort of person who is going to just eat Mars bars isn't likely
to be particularly bothered about carb counting anyway.
3. With carb counting you can eat like a "normal" person.
4. Non-diabetic people don't, as a rule, eat Mars bars all the time
just because they know their body will automatically match their insulin intake to their carbs.
Soon developed into a big argument. She admitted that it might work
for some people, but wasn't prepared to agree that it shou;d be
prescribed, rather than just "permitted".
By this time my blood was boiling and it was just as well that it was
lunchtime :-)
It still gets me really wound up.
And especially the fact that in balance they stopped printing the
nutritional info with the recipes (or at least, they have now
reinstated it, but grudgingly, for selected items, at the end of the whole
recipe section.
Di