Re: [IPk] post-meal BGs

>However, the big difference is that the pump does not deliver insulin
>directly into the bloodstream but into subcutaneous tissue. There is,
>therefore, a delay in absorbtion and consequently a rise in BG level about 2
>hours after eating.

But John, the poor old non-diabetic's pancreas doesn't know that some
carbohydrate will be eaten in 30 minutes, so it can't make preparations*.
In fact you and I may know what we shall be eating, and so can pre-place
the insulin. That gives us the opportunity  to keep an even flatter
post-meal bg - if we wanted to or needed to. I'm not sure we need to -
since as small rise is "normal" - so why would we want to? Di?

The flip side, as you mention, is making room for inaccuracy. A rise from 5
to 9 then back to 5 is better than a fall from 5 to 1 then back to 5!!!

*I believe the non-diabetic pancreas releases a sudden surge of insulin to
the blood stream as soon as food is eaten - the phase 1 release. A second
slower release of insulin - the phase 2 release - comes in response to the
actual rise in bg.

mailto:email @ redacted