Re: [IPk] Annoyance

>I asked him if he
>would prefer the NHS to pay for my stay in hospital when I went into
>DKA. He soon got the point and issued the prescription :-)

The GP of course doesn't fund your stay in hospital, nor your visit to A&E,
but he may have his own prescription drugs budget he has to remain within.
Therein lies the dilemma...

I believe that 4 tests a day is now regarded as "best medical practice" for
everyone - whether on a pump or not. Many don't do this - some don't even
test at all. That's their own problem. But if you need 6 or 8 tests a day,
then so be it. I mean, unless we are mentally deficient, we are hardly
likely to be testing unnecessarily - afterall, it does involve cutting
yourself open repeatedly. We are surely the best assessors of the benefit
it brings. And statistics now show clearly that more frequent testing
corrolates with a lower HbA1c. And a lower HbA1c corrolates with fewer
complications. And fewer complications corrolates with lower healthcare
costs etc etc. OK, corollation does not imply causation, but the message is
fairly clear.

Will this new National Institute for Clinical Excellence be bringing in
guidelines for this?

mailto:email @ redacted