Re: [IPk] Annoyance

>I _think_ I can imagine the annoyance of being attached to a pump (kind
>of like the annoyance of being attached to a Walkman vs having speakers
>in every room of the house?), and I can definite relate to the annoyance
>of having to pay money when the chances are, it will save society money.
>But managing consumables?  I get prescriptions which last 3 or 4 weeks,
>and buy needles which last a few months.  In both cases, I am always
>realising I'm about to run out of something (a situation which usually
>involves driving to the doctors to pick up a prescription, then belting
>across Surrey to get to work on time, then going to the chemist in the
>lunch hour, so I have enough supplies to take away with me that evening
>for a few days out of the office.  Or having to raid my emergency stash
>of stuff.  So what's different with the pump?  Is there a long turn-
>around on consumables orders?

I find Mike's comments very honest. Being attached to a machine - however
small - is certainly one of the downsides to pumping. This affects some
worse than others. Even if you find a discrete, comfortable and convenient
place to wear it, some people take a while to accept it. But is it that
different from getting used to wearing glasses? I quickly regarded my pump
as part of "me" rather than something external.

Obviously, if you are self-funding, cost is probably THE major
consideration. Some argue that self-funding of infusion sets does not rest
well, since your decision to change a set can easily be interferred with by
financial considerations. Not a good situation.

Thankfully many UK clinics, with a bit of persuasion, will now fund
infusion sets, even if they can't help you purchase a pump.

Mike - I don't quite understand your bit about managing consumables! Are
you disorganised or something? ;-) Once I got into the swing of things, I
would keep a spare infusion set change at work (I've never used it) and
small syringe and penfill cartridge hidden in my wallet so I can go to
manual if my pump does ever become inoperable when I'm out for the day
(only happened once when I ran out of insulin).

Pat - does your GP _really_ run a reorder-every-3-weeks for supplies? That
sounds like an extraordinary waste of his and your time. Or is that the
intention? :-( I did a postal repeat prescription, which would be collected
automatically by the chemist. No visit to the surgery required. And we
agreed to stock to the 3 month level 4 times a year...

mailto:email @ redacted